What to Do if Ex Husband Violates the Divorce Decree

What to Do if Ex-Husband Violates the Divorce Decree

Divorce can be a difficult and emotionally draining process, and it becomes even more challenging when one party fails to abide by the terms of the divorce decree. If your ex-husband is violating the divorce decree, it’s essential to take action to protect your rights and ensure that the agreed-upon terms are enforced. Here are a few steps you can take if you find yourself in this situation.

1. Read and Understand the Divorce Decree: Familiarize yourself with the terms of the divorce decree to determine if your ex-husband’s actions truly violate its provisions.

2. Communicate with Your Ex-Husband: In some cases, a simple conversation may resolve the issue. Clearly express your concerns and remind him of the agreed-upon terms.

3. Consult with Your Attorney: If the violation continues or is significant, consult with your divorce attorney. They can provide guidance on the best course of action and help you understand your legal rights.

4. Gather Evidence: Collect evidence to support your claim of a violation. This may include emails, text messages, financial records, or witness statements.

5. File a Motion for Contempt: If your ex-husband continues to disregard the divorce decree, your attorney can file a motion for contempt with the court. This legal action requests that the court enforce the terms of the divorce decree and hold your ex-husband accountable for his actions.

6. Attend Court Hearing: Once the motion is filed, a court hearing will be scheduled. Present your evidence and arguments to the judge, who will then decide whether your ex-husband is in contempt of the divorce decree.

See also  Why Do Some People Wear Wedding Ring on Right Hand

7. Seek Legal Remedies: If your ex-husband is found in contempt, the court may order various remedies such as fines, changes to child custody arrangements, or even jail time in extreme cases.

8. Modify the Divorce Decree: If the violations persist or your circumstances change, you can petition the court to modify the divorce decree. This may involve altering child custody arrangements, visitation rights, or financial obligations.


1. Can I personally enforce the divorce decree?
No, only the court has the authority to enforce the terms of the divorce decree.

2. Should I keep a record of all violations?
Yes, maintaining a detailed record of all violations will strengthen your case when seeking legal action.

3. What if my ex-husband refuses to pay child support?
Consult with your attorney and file a motion for contempt to address the non-payment issue.

4. Can I withhold visitation rights if my ex-husband violates other terms?
No, violating visitation rights can have legal consequences. Consult with your attorney to address the issue appropriately.

5. Can I request attorney fees if my ex-husband is found in contempt?
Yes, the court may order your ex-husband to pay your attorney fees if he is found in contempt.

6. How long does it take for a court hearing to be scheduled?
The timeline varies depending on your jurisdiction, but it typically takes a few weeks to a few months.

7. Can I modify the divorce decree without going to court?
No, any modifications to the divorce decree must be approved by the court.

8. What if my ex-husband violates the divorce decree multiple times?
Persistent violations may result in more severe consequences, such as increased fines or changes in custody arrangements. Seek legal advice to address the situation effectively.

See also  How Much to Change Name After Marriage

About the Author

You may also like these